Assistant Outreach Coordinator
Part-time Temporary Position (T-1)
ASSISTANT OUTREACH COORDINATOR
Recommended applicants will be subject to a background check
Posting Dates: 1/10/14 – 1/23/14
The North Carolina Aquarium at Fort Fisher seeks a talented, enthusiastic educator to promote, prepare, present and evaluate educational outreach programs. The Outreach branch of the Aquarium’s Education Section offers off-site, fee-based programs to schools, pre-schools, day cares, summer camps, assisted living/senior care facilities and community groups. The selected candidate will lead these programs, and will assist the Outreach Coordinator in evaluating existing programs and designing new programs to stimulate interest in natural resources and make education fun and engaging. As a member of the Education Team, this position will also assist with Aquarium-based programs, teacher workshops, special educational events and other programs as needed, as well as represent the Aquarium at fairs and festivals and other off-site events. This position requires travel and the ability to work independently and meet deadlines.
• Strong public speaking and presentation skills
• Enthusiastic and positive attitude
• Bachelor of Science or Arts in education, marine biology, biology, parks and recreation, environmental studies or related fields preferred
• Knowledge of implementing and presenting educational programs, preferably in the natural sciences
• Working knowledge in two (2) of the following categories: natural history, environmental science, marine science, aquatic conservation issues, early childhood education, adult education, public speaking
• Flexible work schedule. Must be able to work weekdays, weekends, nights, and holidays.
• Ability to lift 25 lbs
• Comfortable handling live animals
• Good driving record and valid NC drivers license
Applicants selected for an in-person interview must prepare a 10-15 minute presentation. Submit State Application PD-107 to: NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher, Attn: Personnel, 900 Loggerhead Rd., Kure Beach, NC 28449. Faxed or electronic applications also accepted. Fax (910) 458-6812 or firstname.lastname@example.org . Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the State Application, but may be in addition to.