Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
Position: Assistant Volunteer Coordinator
Salary Grade: Temporary
Salary Range: $11.19 per hour
Type of Appointment: Temp Part-Time (24 hours/week November-March, up to 40 hours/week April-October)
Closing Date: January 24, 2014
The Education Department of the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores seeks an enthusiastic, intelligent, highly motivated individual with excellent organizational skills to assist the Volunteer Coordinator. The successful candidate will have good communication skills and some supervisory experience. The Volunteer Assistant oversees volunteers and related programs in the absence of the Volunteer Coordinator. The Assistant is required to work weekends.
* The position lasts for 11 months with the possibility of rehire after one month off. It is classified as temporary/part-time and does not include state benefits.
• Providing weekend assistance for volunteers and serving as a point of contact in the absence of the Volunteer Coordinator
• Staffing volunteer stations, including touch tanks, as needed
• Recruiting, interviewing, supervising and evaluating teens in the Aquarium Teen Volunteer program with the Volunteer Coordinator
• Scheduling of volunteers on a weekly basis
• Assisting with orientation, training, tracking and retention of volunteers
• Assisting with volunteer fellowship and recognition events
• Other tasks designated according to need and interest
Training and Experience:
Graduation from high school and demonstrated possession of knowledge, skills and abilities gained through at least two years office assistant/administrative experience, education program assistant experience or teacher’s aide experience or equivalent; or college coursework in human resources, volunteer management or education with one year of responsible experience as described above; or an equivalent combination of training and experience. Strong verbal and organizational skills required. Strong computer skills required, including knowledge of Word, Excel, Publisher and database software. Must be able to stand for long periods of time and to staff exhibits where bending is required.
Prior experience working with and/or supervising volunteers is preferred. Experience working with teenagers in an educational program setting and knowledge of North Carolina aquatic life is a plus.
How to Apply
Mail, fax or deliver a completed PD-107 State Application for Employment to the address below by 5 p.m. on the closing date. A cover letter and resume may be submitted along with the completed application. However, cover letters or resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application form. Please complete the state application form completely and indicate the desired position on the application. For more information, contact Volunteer Coordinator Chris Carlin, 252-247-4003, ext. 286.
Send or deliver applications to:
Chris Carlin, Volunteer Coordinator
North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
1 Roosevelt Blvd.
Pine Knoll Shores, NC 28512