Classification: Temporary/part-time positions,
Salarys: $11.25 per hour-Instructor
Closing Date: March 13, 2016
The North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores seeks talented, enthusiastic educators to lead groups of all ages in a wide range of programs and activities. The Special Activities branch of the Aquarium’s Education Section offers fee-based programs and activities to school groups and the general public. This position will assist with both our summer camps and our public programming. This includes, but is not limited to: salt marsh explorations, sleepovers, canoeing, crabbing and clamming, surf fishing, themed birthday parties, live animal presentations, craft classes, and auditorium presentations both at the aquarium and off-site. Special Activities Instructors are integral to the success of the Aquarium’s education mission. Staff typically 32-40 hours per week.
Training, Experience, and Job Requirements
• Strong public speaking and presentation skills
• Thorough understanding of coastal ecology and general biology
• Commitment to education partnered with a strong work ethic
• Prior experience in educational program design and assembly preferred.
• Enthusiastic and positive attitude
• High School Degree required. Enrollment in a Bachelor of Science or Arts in education, marine biology, biology, parks and recreation, environmental studies or related field experience.
• Flexible work schedule that may include long work days.
• Must be able to work weekdays, weekends and some nights.
• Must possess a valid driver’s license.
• Ability to lift 35 lbs.
• Comfortable handling live animals
• Ability to work out of doors in summer heat for hours at a time
• Weekend work required
• Sense of humor
How to Apply
Mail, fax or deliver a completed PD-107 State Application for Employment to the address below by 5 p.m. on the closing date. A cover letter and resume may be submitted along with the completed application. However, cover letters or resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application form. Please complete the state application form completely and indicate the desired position on the application. For more information, contact Wayne Justice at 252-247-4003, ext. 227
Wayne Justice, Special Activities Coordinator
North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
PO Box 580
1 Roosevelt Blvd.
Atlantic Beach, NC 28512