2013 5K Race for the Planet INFORMATION
Updates as of 4/19/13
- Due to an unexpected construction delay at the Fort Fisher State Historic Site, there will be a slight course modification for the 5K Race for the Planet. The changes will be outlined during the pre-race instructions on Sunday. The modifications will likely extend the asphalt portion of the course. The 5K distance will remain the same.
- Online registration has been extended on the Aquarium’s website until 11:59 p.m., Saturday, April 20. Same day registration begins at 7 a.m. Sunday at the Aquarium. If you know friends, family or neighbors interested in the race please pass this information along.
- Race day parking is at the Aquarium.
Early Packet Pickup
4-7 p.m. Friday, April 19, 2013
3501 Oleander Dr. # 17A, Wilmington
Race Day-Sunday, April 21
- Pre-registered runners and walkers may pick-up race packets from 7-7:45 a.m. at the Aquarium
- Race-day registration is also available from 7 a.m. to 7:45 a.m.
- The race staging area is in the front parking area of the N.C. Aquarium at Fort Fisher, 900 Loggerhead Road, Kure Beach, NC 28409
- Race instructions will begin at 7:50 a.m. in the Aquarium parking area.
- Immediately following the race instructions runners will make their way along the Aquarium bike path to US421 and the race start. The race will begin promptly at 8 a.m.
- The 5K course map is available here.
- The course is mostly asphalt or concrete, with some areas of natural trails and boardwalk. These areas may be slick if wet conditions exist.
- Please be aware there may be light ferry traffic on the route.
- Water is available in the staging area before and after the race. No hydration stations are located on the course. If you anticipate needing water during the race, please carry it with you.
- The awards ceremony will begin at 9 a.m. Awards are based on final times as confirmed by the official timing company.
- Awards will be presented to the top 3 overall male and female winners and first place male and female in the following age groups: 13 & under 40-49
30-39 70 and over
- Present your race bib number from 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. April 21 for FREE Aquarium admission.
- Official race results will be posted on the 5K Race for the Planet web page as soon as they are available Sunday.
- Please take a moment to fill out the 2013 5K Race for the Planet survey that will be sent to all race participants the week of April 22. Let us know what you liked and how we can make this event even better next year.
- Please thank and patronize the sponsors and donors who helped to make the 5th annual 5K Race for the Planet possible including signature sponsors: The Fresh Market, Omega Sports, Pepsi, and Queensboro Shirt Company; and supporting sponsors Brunswick Timing Services, Catch, Coastal Car Wash, Fort Fisher State Historic Site, Islands Fresh Mex Grill, Lovey’s Natural Foods & Café, NC Aquarium Society, Toys R Us and Wilmington Woodturners Association.
The Aquarium’s 5K Race for the Planet Committee looks forward to an outstanding event and wishes you a successful race.
Questions or comments:
Race Committee Co-chairs Robin Nalepa 910.458.8257 ext. 211 or Joanna Zazzali at x. 226.