Jr. Volunteer Summer Program
Make friends, make connections and make the most of your summer as a volunteer at the N.C. Aquarium at Fort Fisher.
Do you have an interest in aquatic science and marine biology? Can you commit to sharing 8-hours a week with sea turtles, sharks and teens your own age? Are you a rising 10th grader to rising college freshman? If so, apply to be a junior volunteer this summer.
- Meet other students with similar interests
- Attend socials and field trips
- Gain experience for future education and employment
- Receive food and gift shop discounts
- Extend volunteering into the school year
As a junior volunteer, you assist Aquarium staff and contribute to visitor experiences. Make someone’s day by introducing him to a shark he can touch. Show a family how to feed a horseshoe crab. Help a child create an aquatic-themed craft. Come on, it’s time to get your hands wet!
|April 23||Deadline to Apply|
|April 27||Interviews Conducted by this Date (in-person or by phone)|
|10 a.m.-3 p.m. Orientation and Training Session 1 *Moved from May 17|
|May 31||10 a.m.-3 p.m. Training Session 2|
|June||6 p.m.-9 a.m: Team Building Aquarium Sleepover|
|June 15||Program Starts|
|July 16||Field Trip|
|August 21||End of Program Celebration|
|August 23||Program Ends|
*Program dates can be adjusted for Early College High School students and out-of-town volunteers
- Complete online application.
- Have 2 references send letters of recommendation to Marissa.Roman@ncaquariums.com.
- Interview with aquarium staff.
- Attend volunteer training sessions in May and pay program fee of $70 (to cover uniform costs and training; current junior volunteers pay $20).
Students generally volunteer for two 4-hour shifts each week during the 10-week program. A commitment of 90 volunteer hours is expected, with orientation included in the total.
If you are interested in applying, please complete and submit the Junior Volunteer Summer Program Application. If you have any questions regarding the junior volunteer summer program, please contact Marissa Roman in the Education Department at (910) 458-8257 ext. 237.