Take time for turtles at the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. Celebrate these shelled reptiles every week, all day, all summer through Aug. 13 on Turtle Tuesdays.
- See if you can spot the spiny softshell turtle with its leathery shell in the Fairway Pond exhibit. If it isn’t swimming, look closely for its pointed snout in the pebbles on the bottom, where it often buries itself up to its neck.
- Look for box turtles, representing the state reptile, during animal encounters.
- Watch the red-eared sliders, yellowbelly sliders and Eastern river cooters swimming and basking in Beaver Dam Creek.
- You can’t miss the striking shell and skin patterns of the diamondback terrapins in Soundside Marsh.
- Find the sea turtle hatchling exhibit in the Tidal Waters Gallery.
- Marvel at the view of hundreds of marine animals in the Living Shipwreck, including a green sea turtle.
- Visit Nimbus, the rare white loggerhead sea turtle, in the gallery across from the Gift Shop.
- See what it’s like to diagnose and treat an injured or ill sea turtle in Sea Turtle Rescue, across from the Gift Shop. The hands-on exhibit uses model turtles and technology to make you the hero!
- Enjoy the two bronze sea turtle sculptures at the entrance – a green and a loggerhead.