The North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores continues to expand its staff. Please check this page often for new listings of available part-time and full-time positions.
Special Activities Instructor
Education Section – North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
The North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores seeks talented, enthusiastic interpreters to lead groups of all ages in a wide range of programs and activities. The Special Activities branch of the Aquarium’s Education Section offers fee-based programs and activities to school groups and the general public. This includes, but is not limited to: salt marsh explorations, sleepovers, canoeing, crabbing and clamming, surfing, surf fishing, themed birthday parties, live animal presentations, craft classes, and auditorium presentations. Special Activities Instructors are integral to the success of the Aquarium’s education mission. Instructors typically work 25 to 32 hours per week during peak season.
- Strong public speaking and presentation skills
- Thorough understanding of coastal ecology and general biology
- Commitment to education partnered with a strong work ethic
- Enthusiastic and positive attitude
- High School Degree required, Bachelor of Science or Arts in education, marine biology, biology, parks and recreation, environmental studies or related field experience preferred.
- Flexible work schedule, must be able to work weekdays, weekends and some nights
- Ability to lift 25lbs.
- Comfortable handling live animals
- Valid North Carolina drivers license
- CPR and First Aid Certification
- Life Guard Certification is a plus
- Ability to work out of doors in summer heat for hours at a time
- Sense of humor
- Weekend work required
Interested individuals must complete a standard application for state employment. (PD- 107) by April 20, 2009. Successful candidates may be asked to prepare a 10-15 minute presentation as part of an in-person interview. For more information please contact:
Special Activities Coordinator- NC Aquarium Pine Knoll Shores
(252) 247-4003 ext. 227
PO BOX 580
Atlantic Beach NC 28512
The Education Department is now accepting State Application Form PD-107 for the following seasonal part-time Educator position at the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. This position does not include state benefits.
The application deadline for this position is March 30, 2009.
The Educator position is responsible for presenting all educational programs to the public and to school groups and other special groups. This position will present live animal programs, prepare printed materials, respond to visitor questions, use electronic communication systems, and work with full-time Educators on creating and implementing special-event programs.
- Excellent written and oral communication skills.
- Demonstrated ability to create and present public programs.
- Ability to speak before and respond to questions from large audiences.
- Strong knowledge of North Carolina’s coastal species and resources.
- Availability for evening, weekend and holiday work.
- Prior animal handling experience preferred.
A signed State Application Form PD-107 is required to apply for this position.
Please mail applications to:
North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
Employment – Attention: Education
P.O. Box 580 Atlantic Beach, NC 28512
Youth Advocacy Internships
The North Carolina Youth Advocacy and Involvement Office (NCYAIO) offers internship opportunities throughout state government, including the North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores. Students should apply for these positions directly through NCYAIO.
The deadline for NCYAIO applications typically is in late January.
Eligibility requirements, applications and instructions can be found at the NCYAIO website, www.ncyaio.com. For more information, call the NCYAIO office at 919-733-9296.
Feeding the turtles