The new Nature Play adventure “For the Birds” is now open! Woodpeckers, Herons, Osprey and many more of their beaked brethren are the stars of the show, as visitors are invited to mimic their avian activities. Build a nest like a Mockingbird or a Killdeer. Hop like a Chickadee and balance like a Heron. Make a racket like a Woodpecker and feed like a Hummingbird!
Sea the change
· Seven Rivers highlights the cultural history and animals, including amphibians, snakes and juvenile alligators, tied to the waters of the Albemarle.
· Wander through Wild Wetlands featuring river otters, alligators and turtles.
· Learn about sea turtle conservation in the Sea Turtle Assistance and Rehabilitation (STAR) Center and interactive Sea Turtle Rescue exhibit.
· Walk through a sunken ship to find Sea Treasures and marine life living off our coast.
· Get up-close views of stingrays and invertebrates in Sea Senses.
· Wonder at the ethereal world of sea jellies in Delicate Drifters.
· Experience the incredible history of the U.S.S. Monitor in the Ironclad Sanctuary.
· Watch sharks and other fish swim by in the Graveyard of the Atlantic and jump into the interactive Gulf Stream exhibit.
· Explore the outdoors from the Soundside Pier and around the grounds.
Architect: Cambridge Seven Associates, Inc.
Photographer: Kwesi Budu-Arthur