Job Title: Husbandry Intern
Classification: Seasonal internship (summer)
Salary: $8.25 per hour
Closing Date: March 15, 2016
This internship is a paid, seasonal position with a maximum of 40 hours per week and does not include state benefits. A typical work schedule is 8 a.m. to 5 p.m., including weekends, holidays and possibly evenings.
The husbandry intern position is responsible for assisting our animal care staff in a variety of tasks revolving around the care and maintenance of the many fish, reptiles, birds, amphibians and invertebrates exhibited at the Aquarium.
This position includes these essential functions:
• diet preparation and feeding
• collecting new specimens
• cleaning animal exhibits and holding areas
• performing water quality tests
• helping with medical care
• assisting aquarists in setting up new systems
• exhibit and life support system maintenance
• conducting record-keeping
The husbandry intern works outdoors in possible adverse conditions such as high temperatures and humidity. This position may require lifting heavy items (approx. 50 pounds) and climbing ladders.
Training, Experience, Qualifications
• Minimum 1 year of college completed
• Must have a valid driver’s license
• Ability to work as a team
• Pursuing a degree in biology or related field
How to Apply
Mail, fax or deliver a completed PD-107 State Application for Employment to the address below by
5 p.m. on the closing date. A cover letter and resume may be submitted along with the completed application. However, cover letters or resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application form. Please complete the state application form completely and indicate the desired position on the application. For more information, contact Clint Taylor at 252-247-4003, ext. 268.
Clint Taylor/ Aquarium Curator
North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
1 Roosevelt Blvd.
Pine Knoll Shores, NC 28512