Special Activities Intern
Position: Unpaid Special Activities Intern
Location: NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island
PO Box 967, 374 Airport Road
Manteo, NC 27954
Duration: Negotiable, (start/end dates are flexible)
Some evening, weekend, and holiday work required
Qualifications: A successful candidate must:
• Have the desire to teach all ages
• Love working with children
• Be willing and able to relate to the public and tolerate large groups
• Exhibit excellent customer service skills
• Have a desire and ability to work in the outdoors in all kinds of weather!
• Be a self-motivated worker who is able to work independently, but also be able to accept supervision and guidance
• Be flexible and able to quickly adapt to a variety of situations!
• Be a person of excitement, patience, fun, and stamina, and possess an ability to laugh at yourself
• Be a student or recent graduate who is over 18 years of age and is seeking work experience
Job Description: Fall/Winter Interns: Initiating, planning, and creating fun, educational programs is the emphases for fall and winter interns. Interns will work behind the scenes at the Aquarium, focusing on creating and taking part in the planning of hands-on, experiential, educational and outdoor courses and curriculum. We emphasize environmental stewardship and experiential learning by placing visitors in a natural environment where they can learn, first-hand, about their vital relationship with that environment.
Summer Interns: Instructors are a vital component of the Aquarium education experience. Our goal is to change visitors’ lives for the better by increasing their self-worth and their ability to work together with others, while emphasizing their natural environment. You will be teaching pre-approved curriculum, facilitating teambuilding, and conducting indoor and outdoor activities through programs such as summer camps, kayak eco-tours, beach ecology trips, marsh explorations, animal feeding programs, themed birthday parties, and overnight stays at the Aquarium.
To Apply: Please contact the Volunteer Coordinator at Shannon.Brooks@ncaquariums.com or call (252) 473-3494 ext. 254. Once you receive your application, you will need to send your application materials, along with a cover letter and resume to the address above.