JOB TITLE: Museum Technician I Working Title: Aquatic Animal Health Technician
These are hourly positions ranging weekly 30-40 hours full-time. Positions will work flexible schedules and hours based on business needs. These positions are classified as temporary and do not include state benefits, however temporary health benefit plans are available for purchase with an 11-month agreement. This position is based in Morehead City and requires routine weekly travel to all North Carolina (NC) Aquarium locations.
DIVISION: NC Aquariums
SALARY GRD/RANGE: NC03
RECRUITMENT RANGE: $14.00 hourly
APPT TYPE: Temporary
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
LOCATION: Carteret County
Description of Work:
This position is responsible for providing veterinary technical support, under the guidance of the Chief and Associate veterinarians, for the NC Aquariums’ animal collections at all locations. This position works closely with the veterinary team and husbandry staff performing diagnostic procedures, specimen collection, administering treatments, and performing necropsies. The technician operates diagnostic equipment and assists with processing and submitting diagnostic samples for analysis.
- Assists with ordering and preparing supplies for onsite clinical site visits.
- Participates in driving duties between aquarium sites and the office location in Morehead City.
- Assists with diagnostic sample collection and submissions to labs.
- Helps maintain inventory of supplies, medications and other clinically related items in the lab, at the Aquariums, and in the field kits.
- Assists vet team with medical record keeping as needed.
- Performs all other duties as assigned by manager.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work in an animal hospital environment. Requires flexibility and capability of performing essential job functions with various animals in holding areas, exhibit spaces and areas where spaces can be small and tight and loud.
- Familiar with the use of veterinary medical equipment including radiology, ultrasound, endoscopy, and surgery equipment as well as autoclaves and microscopes.
- Experience with diagnostic sample handling and submission to outside laboratories
- Must communicate effectively both verbally and in writing.
- Valid North Carolina driver's license
- Ability to work up to 40 hours/week (including extended days when driving from vet offices to Aquarium locations)
Education and Experience:
- Experience performing veterinary diagnostic procedures and providing medical treatments to non-domestic animals, preferably including fish and other aquatic animals.
- Experience with and willingness to participate in gross pathology procedures.
- Experience with inventory management and organization of a clinic-type facility
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office software (Excel, PowerPoint, Outlook).
- Familiarity with animal medical record-keeping software (Tracks experience preferred)
High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and one year of experience as related to knowledge, skills, and abilities in area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
The mission of the North Carolina Aquariums (NCA) is to inspire appreciation and conservation of our aquatic environments. This mission is achieved by attracting, retaining and developing a world class team of professionals; providing visitors with outstanding exhibits, experiences and customer service; practicing sustainability, internal customer service and fiscal responsibility; and working to save and restore aquatic species and habitats.
The North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) takes care of the things that people love about North Carolina, literally from A to Z. The Arts to the Zoo, and so much else – parks, aquariums, historic sites, archaeology, African American Heritage Commission, science and history museums, the state Symphony, Library and Archives, historic preservation, land and water stewardship, and more. These places, and the ideas they represent, create a shared identity in North Carolina. They provide common ground. Everyone is welcome. The Department’s vision is to be the leader in using the state's natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational, and economic future of North Carolina. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state's diverse population, culture, and history. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team.
Check out this amazing video about our department.
The NC Aquariums Veterinary Team, with offices based in Morehead City, NC, provides care for animals at the four NC Aquarium locations, Pine Knoll Shores, Fort Fisher, Roanoke Island and Jennette’s Pier.
How to Apply:
Email, mail, fax or deliver a completed PD-107 State Application for Employment. Use the following link https://oshr.nc.gov/nc-state-government-paper-application-employment-pd-107 . Send applications to the address below by 5 p.m. on the closing date.
The Department of Natural & Cultural Resources (DNCR) uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified applicants. Degrees must be received from an appropriately accredited institution. The State of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).
All relevant experience must be included in the application to receive proper credit. Incomplete application forms will not be accepted. A cover letter and resume may be submitted along with the completed application. However, cover letters or resumes will not be accepted in lieu of the state application form. Please complete the state application form completely and indicate the desired position on the application.
Emily F. ChristiansenChief Veterinarian,
North Carolina Aquariums
303 College Circle
Morehead City, NC 28557