JOB TITLE: Information & Communications Specialist I
WORKING TITLE: Assistant PR Coordinator
VACANCY #: 60092977
DIVISION: NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island
SALARY GRD: NC12
RECRUITMENT RANGE: $14.00 hourly
APPT TYPE: Temporary
CLOSING DATE: 5:00 p.m., December 2, 2022
LOCATION: Dare County
*** Position will function as the Assistant PR Coordinator ***
This is an hourly position ranging weekly 30-40 hours full-time over 11 months with a one month required separation. Evening or weekend work may be required. These positions are classified as temporary and do not include state benefits, however, temporary health benefit plans are available for purchase with an 11-month agreement.
The North Carolina Department of Natural and Cultural Resources (DNCR) takes care of the things that people love about North Carolina, literally from A to Z. The Arts to the Zoo, and so much else – parks, aquariums, historic sites, archaeology, African American Heritage Commission, science and history museums, the state Symphony, Library and Archives, historic preservation, land and water stewardship, and more. These places, and the ideas they represent, create a shared identity in North Carolina. They provide common ground. Everyone is welcome. The Department’s vision is to be the leader in using the state's natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational, and economic future of North Carolina. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state's diverse population, culture, and history. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team. Check out this amazing video about our Department.
The North Carolina Aquarium's mission is to inspire appreciation and conservation of our aquatic environments. This mission is achieved by attracting, retaining, and developing a world class team of professionals; providing visitors with outstanding exhibits, experiences, and customer service; practicing sustainability, internal customer service and fiscal responsibility; and working to save and restore aquatic species and habitats.
The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island is located in Manteo, NC, nine miles from the Atlantic coastline in Nags Head. The 61,000 square-foot facility is sited on 16 acres overlooking the Croatan Sound and houses over 2,200 animals. More than 280,000 guests visit the aquarium each year to see a large array of sharks, learn about sea turtle conservation, participate in a variety of programs, enjoy the beauty of the area, and learn why North Carolina's waterways are so special.
Description of Work:
The primary purpose of this position is to assist the Communications Manager in communications efforts for the Aquarium including marketing and publicity for tickets, programs, and special events, graphic design, photography and video, development of content for social media and digital platforms. Evening or weekend work may be required to collect photo and video content during Aquarium events.
- Create content, schedule, post, monitor, and engage public audiences on NCARI social media platforms. Monitor and update online information about NCARI, including Aquarium website.
- Assist in copy editing for media releases, public correspondence, and social media posting.
- Assist in documenting Aquarium activities and collections through photography and video to be used for various promotional outlets. Coordinate with other departments and appropriate staffs to ensure accurate, safe, and timely representation of Aquarium and Aquarium animals.
- This employee works within the communications department to forward departmental objectives by offering support to, and accepting support from, co-workers. This employee supports and contributes to aquarium special events and initiatives that span all departments.
- Other duties as assigned.
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
- Ability to work cooperatively with other Aquarium staff and Division staff to meet the overall goals of the Division.
- Ability to exercise sound judgment in all contact with the public and the media to express oneself clearly and concisely in written and oral form.
- Ability to understand the needs of social media management in engaging the public about the Aquarium.
Education and Experience:
Bachelor’s degree in communications, public relations, public affairs, journalism, English, or related field from an appropriately accredited institution; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to Apply:
A NC State Government Paper Application for Employment (PD-107) is required and may be downloaded from the NC Office of State Personnel website. A cover letter and resume may also be submitted but will NOT be accepted in lieu of the NC State Application PD-107 form. Applications which do not include the applicant’s signature are considered incomplete and will not be accepted.
Electronic applications will not be accepted without signature. Please include your email and phone # on your application.
All relevant experience must be included on application to receive proper credit. A resume and cover letter may be submitted along with the completed state application.
The Department of Natural & Cultural Resources (DNCR) uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified applicants. Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions. The State of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).
Applications may be submitted by email, mail, or fax by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date of the posting:
Attn: Christian Legner, Communications Manager
NC Aquarium Roanoke Island
PO Box 967
Manteo, NC 27954
Email: [email protected]