JOB TITLE: Administrative Associate I Working Title: Cashier
VACANCY #60093242 and #60093230 and #60093239(seasonal position)
DIVISION: NC Aquarium (Pine Knoll Shores)
SALARY GRD/RANGE: GN03
RECRUITMENT RANGE: $10.32 hourly
APPT TYPE: Temporary
CLOSING DATE: Ongoing
LOCATION: Carteret County
*** Position will function as Cashier***
This is an 11-month position; hours may vary per week. It is classified as temporary/part-time and does not include state benefits. In addition to the two 11-month positions we will be hiring for once seasonal cashier. Recommended candidates will be subject to a background check prior to employment.
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources’ (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state's natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve quality of life by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries and nature throughout North Carolina. The Department works to stimulate learning, inspire creativity, preserve the state's history, conserve the state's natural heritage, encourage recreation and cultural tourism, and promote economic development. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state’s diverse population, culture, and history by expanding engagement with diverse individuals and communities. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team.
The mission of the North Carolina Aquariums is to inspire appreciation and conservation of North Carolina’s aquatic environments. This mission is achieved by attracting, retaining and developing a world class team of professionals; providing visitors with outstanding exhibits, experiences and customer service; practicing sustainability, internal customer service and fiscal responsibility; and working to save and restore aquatic species and habitats.
The North Carolina Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores is located 6 miles from Morehead City, NC, on Bogue Banks, sits adjacent to Bogue Sound. A living collection of over 2,500 animals in 90,000 square feet of exhibit space attracts and engages over 400,000 visitors each year. The Aquarium is located in the middle of Roosevelt Natural Area, a state park of maritime forest and wetland ecosystems.
Description of Work:
• Position serves as line cashier/salesperson and customer service representative. Primary responsibilities include: Sales of admission tickets using the CounterPoint POS system, engaging each visitor and promoting special activities, programs and membership opportunities.
• Ability to provide exceptional customer service.
• Professional appearance and demeanor.
• Provide visitors with information about the Aquarium, programs and the local area.
• Duties as assigned.
• Weekend, holiday and occasional evening work required.
Knowledge, Skills & Abilities:
1. This position requires cash handling and customer service experience and knowledge of basic computer skills.
2. Applicants must be articulate; have good communication skills, interact well with the general public and staff, and have excellent customer service skills.
3. The successful candidate will be able to work in a pleasant manner with the public for long hours.
Training, Experience and Job Requirements:
Applications cannot be considered without documentation of the minimum education and experience, meaning all work experience must be included on application in order to receive credit.
• High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to Apply:
Mail, fax or deliver a completed PD-107 State Application for Employment to the address below by 5:00 p.m. on the closing date of the posting:
NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
ATTN: Cindy Meyers
1 Roosevelt Drive
Pine Knoll Shores NC 28512.
All relevant experience must be included on application to receive proper credit. A resume and cover letter may be submitted along with the completed state application.
The Department of Natural & Cultural Resources (DNCR) uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified applicants. Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institution. The State of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).