The North Carolina Aquarium Society is seeking applicants for the full-time position of Communications Manager.
The Aquarium Society is a 501c3 nonprofit, based in Raleigh, N.C., that serves as the support organization for North Carolina’s three aquariums on the coast (Fort Fisher, Pine Knoll Shores, and Roanoke Island) as well as Jennette’s Pier in Nags Head, N.C. The Communications Manager position is based in the Society’s north Raleigh office, with the potential for some telecommuting hours. Some travel to the aquarium/pier locations will be required. This is not a position with the State of North Carolina.
The Communications Manager is responsible for the planning, development, and implementation of the Society’s marketing strategies, communications, and public relations activities, both internal and external.
Reporting directly to the Society’s Director of Development, the Communications Manager will lead development and oversight of the Society’s marketing & communications strategy and ensure adherence to its objectives. This strategy will support the organization’s goals surrounding retail/gift shop marketing, fundraising and donor engagement, membership and member engagement, special projects and capital campaigns, and other forms of public and private advocacy.
Key Responsibilities Include:
• Champion the Aquarium Society’s brand and image, and work in close collaboration with a team of communications professionals at the three aquariums and pier
• Play a key role in organization-wide strategic and business planning and evaluation; maintain customer/donor/member focus throughout all activities
• Oversee the development, design, distribution, and maintenance of high-quality print and electronic collateral including, but not limited to annual reports, brochures, audio-visual presentations, invitations, newsletters, and feature articles
• Design, produce, monitor and measure engaging digital content for the Society’s website, social media, and email channels
• Develop and implement social media policies; manage appropriate social media engagement with the public
• Develop, implement, and evaluate marketing campaigns related to programs, special events, membership campaigns, fundraising campaigns, and donor cultivation
• Develop, edit, and collaborate as needed in producing a variety of well-crafted written materials, including media releases, grant proposals, donor/member correspondence, signs, graphics, and other materials
• Develop and guide media relations; manage appropriate messaging in press releases, creation of press kits and materials, interview preparation, and responses to media requests
The ideal candidate for this position will offer:
• At least five to eight years of professional experience, including leading the communications, marketing, social media, and public relations activities of a high-growth organization.
• Bachelor’s or advanced degree in a communications/marketing related field (e.g. marketing, public relations, business administration, advertising, journalism, and/or communications).
• Excellent writing and editing skills (requirement for the position).
• Excellent people skills, with experience collaborating in a multi-disciplinary, diverse, and dynamic team.
• Experience overseeing the design and production of online and printed collateral materials and publications.
• Experience developing and implementing successful social marketing strategies using current and evolving technologies.
• Proven track record in developing a broad spectrum of proactive media relations campaigns and demonstrated ability to communicate effectively to diverse audiences.
• Strong creative, strategic, analytical, and organizational skills, with the experience of managing multiple concurrent projects and a proven track record of success working independently.
• Extensive knowledge of best practices within the realm of all forms of communication.
This position has an annual salary hiring range of $50,500 to $55,000.
The North Carolina Aquarium Society offers an excellent package of medical, dental, vision and life insurance, as well as 401k and retirement benefits.
This position is open to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or status as a covered veteran.
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Communications Manager” in the subject line.