JOB TITLE: Museum Technician I Working Title: Diving Safety Technician
VACANCY #: 60092963 and 60092969
DIVISION: NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island
SALARY GRD/RANGE: GN05
RECRUITMENT RANGE: $14.00 hourly
APPT TYPE: Temporary
OPEN UNTIL FILLED
LOCATION: Dare County
*** Position will function as Diving Safety Technician ***
These are hourly positions ranging weekly by 30-40 hours full-time and 29 or less hours part-time. Positions will work flexible schedules and hours based on business needs. These positions are classified as temporary and do not include state benefits, however temporary health benefit plans are available for purchase with an 11-month agreement.
The Department of Natural and Cultural Resources’ (DNCR) vision is to be the leader in using the state's natural and cultural resources to build the social, cultural, educational and economic future of North Carolina. Our mission is to improve quality of life by creating opportunities to experience excellence in the arts, history, libraries and nature throughout North Carolina. The Department works to stimulate learning, inspire creativity, preserve the state's history, conserve the state's natural heritage, encourage recreation and cultural tourism, and promote economic development. Our goal is to promote equity and inclusion among our employees and our programming to reflect and celebrate our state’s diverse population, culture, and history by expanding engagement with diverse individuals and communities. We encourage you to apply to become a part of our team.
The mission of the North Carolina Aquariums (NCA) is to inspire appreciation and conservation of our aquatic environments. This mission is achieved by attracting, retaining and developing a world class team of professionals; providing visitors with outstanding exhibits, experiences and customer service; practicing sustainability, internal customer service and fiscal responsibility; and working to save and restore aquatic species and habitats.
The North Carolina Aquarium on Roanoke Island is located in Manteo, NC nine miles from the Atlantic coastline in Nags Head. The 61,000 square-foot facility is sited on 16 acres overlooking the Croatan Sound and houses over 2200 animals. More than 280,000 guests visit the aquarium each year to see a large array of sharks, learn about sea turtle conservation, participate in a variety of programs, enjoy the beauty of the area, and learn why North Carolina’s waterways are so special.
Description of Work:
Supervised by the Diving Safety Officer, this position’s responsibilities involve but are not limited to;
- Comply with NCA Dive Manual (OSHA/AAUS/Recreational Diving Standards)
- Pass the following within the first week of employment; NCA/AAUS diver medical assessment, DAN Diving First Aid for Professional Divers Course, and NCA/AAUS watermanship skills/skin diving/scuba diving assessments
- Maintain a valid driver's license, lift and carry up to 85 lbs. while working, and work 40 hours/week (including weekends/holidays/and occasional extended days)
- Assist with; daily dive operation logistics for staff/volunteer divers by conducting surface support tasks (standby-diver, tender, fill-station operator), dive up to three times per day in aquarium and offshore environments with sharks, conduct aquarium habitat and animal husbandry tasks at surface and while diving, conduct educational presentations in full-face mask for visitors and special events, lead recreational divers/divers-in-training on aquarium habitat tours (guest dives), care for/maintain/manage dive program equipment, and keep timely records via hard-copy forms and digital database
- Occasionally assist with; aquarium staff/volunteer diver training, dive safety drills, logistics for NCA conservation programs involving diving, and other NCA community engagements
Knowledge Skills and Abilities:
Certification as a Rescue Diver, or above, from a nationally recognized organization or member of the Recreational SCUBA Training Council (RSTC).
Education and Experience:
High school or General Educational Development (GED) diploma and one year of experience as related to knowledge, skills, and abilities in area of assignment; or an equivalent combination of education and experience.
How to Apply:
NC State Government Paper Application for Employment (PD-107) | NC Office of Human Resources is required and may be downloaded from the NC Office of State Personnel website. A cover letter and resume may also be submitted but will NOT be accepted in lieu of the NC State Application PD-107 form. Applications which do not include the applicant’s signature are considered incomplete and will not be accepted.
Applications may be submitted by email, mail, or fax by 5:00 on the closing date of the posting:
Attn: Shawn Harper, Diving Safety Officer
NC Aquarium Roanoke Island
PO Box 967
Manteo, NC 27954
Email: [email protected]
Electronic applications will not be accepted without signature. Please include your email and phone # on your application.
All relevant experience must be included on application to receive proper credit. A resume and cover letter may be submitted along with the completed state application.
The Department of Natural & Cultural Resources (DNCR) uses the Merit-Based Recruitment and Selection Plan to fill positions subject to the State Personnel Act with the most qualified applicants. Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions. The State of North Carolina is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
It is the policy of the State of North Carolina and the N.C. Department of Natural and Cultural Resources that all employees provide proof of employment eligibility (immigration and naturalization) on the first day of employment. We participate in E-Verify (Employment Eligibility Verification System).