Welcome to our Teacher Mini-Grants Program!
Aquarium Scholars is a new partnership between the NC Aquariums, NC public schools and the nonprofit NC Aquarium Society, through which private donors help fund access to STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering & Math)-based Aquarium education programs for underserved students across the state.
These grants are only available for Title 1 teachers.
Due to restrictions from the COVID 19 pandemic, the NC Aquariums will be offering virtual learning modules only for Spring 2021. Grant awards will not fund Aquarium visits or in-person, outreach programs, however, virtual learning opportunities are available.
Successful applicants will receive a total of four, virtual learning modules, that are grade-level appropriate (K-2, 3-5, 6-8) and delivered digitally. Each module contains: teacher-led activities, student-guided activities, worksheets, and additional online content and resources.
Each NC Aquarium location will offer a different module that focuses on coastal ecosystems, habitats, and animals. Curriculum content for the modules include:
- Discover life under Jennette’s Pier with a focus on how animals move, their relationships and the food web.
- Beach and Ocean with a focus on sea turtles with NC Aquarium on Roanoke Island
- Salt Marsh and Estuaries with a focus on marine invertebrates and birds with NC Aquarium at Pine Knoll Shores
- Long Leaf Pine Forest with a focus on gopher frogs with NC Aquarium at Fort Fisher
If you are interested in applying for the Aquarium Scholars Program, please read the following information carefully and fill out the online application.
The application period for this funding cycle has ended.
Important Dates to Remember:
For 2020-2021 funding cycle
- Due to Covid 19, the Aquarium Scholars funding cycle will open on December 1, 2020
- Funding cycle will end on December 22
- Notifications will begin January 7
Funding is possible due to the generous support of our sponsors.
RA Bryan Foundation
Duke Energy Foundation
Wells Fargo Foundation
NC GlaxoSmithKline Foundation
Harold H. Bate Foundation
Bill & Bob Dobo Trust
Dominion Energy Charitable Foundation
Goodnight Educational Foundation
Allan C. and Margaret L. Mims Charitable Trust
George Smedes Poyner Foundation
Tetlow & Roy Park Aquarium Legacy Fund
Southern Bank Foundation
Smithfield’s Chicken ‘N Bar-B-Q
Rotary Club of Kinston
Walters Family Foundation