Gift Shop Sales Associate (Part Time)
Jennette’s Pier in Nags Head, NC
The North Carolina Aquarium Society is seeking applicants for the part-time position of Gift Shop Sales Associate at Jennette’s Pier.
The Aquarium Society is a 501c3 nonprofit that serves as the support organization for North Carolina’s three aquariums on the coast (Fort Fisher, Pine Knoll Shores, and Roanoke Island) as well as Jennette’s Pier in Nags Head, N.C. This is not a position with the State of North Carolina.
The Gift Shop Sales Associate reports to the Gift Shop Manager is responsible for helping to promote and support the North Carolina Aquariums and Jennette’s Pier by creating an atmosphere that promotes a positive visitor experience by offering individualized customer assistance and service by performing the following duties in the gift shop.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities
• Greets customers and determines what each customer wants or needs.
• Recommends, selects, and helps to locate or obtain merchandise based on customer needs and desires.
• Describes merchandise and explains use, operation, and care to customers.
• Computes sales prices, total purchases, and receives and process cash or credit payment using a point-of-sale system.
• Promotes and sells aquarium memberships and Jennette’s Pier fishing passes.
• Helps customers by providing information, answering questions, obtaining merchandise requested, and completing payment transactions.
• Maintains knowledge of current sales and promotions, policies regarding payment and exchanges, and security practices.
• Places special orders or calls other aquarium stores to find desired items.
• Maintains the cleanliness of the store and the product displays.
• Unpacks and organizes stock orders and replenishes inventory on the sales floor.
• Creates an atmosphere that promotes a positive visitor experience.
• Creates visual displays.
• Manages difficult or emotional customer situations.
• Responds promptly to customer needs.
• Solicits customer feedback to improve service.
• Responds to requests for service and assistance.
• To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed above are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
• Ability to lift moderately sized boxes and goods, weighing up to 35 lbs.
• Ability to work a flexible schedule, including evenings, weekends and holidays.
• Must possess a valid driver's license.
• Pass a criminal background check.
This position has an hourly rate of $13.50 per hour.
The North Carolina Aquarium Society offers 401k retirement benefits to part time employees.
This position is open to all qualified applicants without regard to race, color, religion, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, national origin, age, disability, marital status, or status as a covered veteran.
Send cover letter and resume to [email protected] with “Gift Shop Sales Associate" in the subject line.